Fursaddu waxa ay ku egtahay 8da May 2018. Faahfaahinta iyo habka arjida hoos arag:
KAALO Aid and Development (KAD) is a community based non-profit, humanitarian and development organization, headquartered in Garowe, Puntland in Somalia. The organization was established in October, 1991 just after the collapse of the Somali central government. KAALO is one of the humanitarian and development NGO in Somalia. The organization has been in existence for 27 years with a successful record in implementing more than 200 programs and projects in both the emergency and the development sector in 9 regions of Puntland. Considering the need and the prevailing development issues in other parts of Somalia, KAALO has expanded the geographic areas of its operation and now includes South and Central Somalia. Kaalo has more than 20 donors and partners, including UN agencies and international humanitarian agencies.
About the Project (RESTORE)
RETORE Project is an EU-funded 3-year (2018-2020) project under Building Resilient Community in Somalia (BRCis) Consortium. The project aims to increase the resilience of pastoralist, agro-pastoralist, and IDP communities in Somaliland and Puntland by building community and local authority capacity to predict, adapt to, cope with and mitigate against future droughts in particular, as well as other local shocks and stresses. The objective will be reached through three main expected results. Result 1: Strengthened community based drought mitigation and preparedness measures). Results 2: Improved Natural Resource Management for drought mitigation and adaptation and Result 3: Diversified livelihoods and assets rebuilt.
The purpose of the task (MVCA)
The main purpose of the task is to clearly identify the overall value chain of the milk, from the producer to the end user. This is aimed to improve the productivity pastoralists and agro-pastoralists community in the target areas (Bossaso District of Bari region, Badhan District of Sanaag and Dangoranyo District of Nugal region) . As well as to identify the main causes of decline the quantity of milk supply to dairy cooperative which affect the profitability of dairy cooperative in order to improve their position in milk value chain following the milk matters approach.
· To review the existing policies and regulations in the milk production and identify the gaps for improvement.
- To Identify challenges associated with milk value chain
- To examine the impact of milk on children nutrition in pastoralist and agro-pastoralist community
- To examine existing practices in targeted population
- To assess the impact of animal feed on milk production in lean dry/season
- To identify existing coping strategies employed by target population in times of drought
- To review on the relative importance of livestock on milk, the amount of milk utilized for various uses (household consumption, marketing, donating to relatives …), and household income.
- · To assess the viability in general and cost-benefit analysis in particular of small scale milk processing scheme
- · To assess the value chain actors (the players involved in value chain transaction-both from the supply and demand sides) and the nature and scale of their relative functions
- To analyze the factors (internal and external influences) that affect the nature and terms of transaction along the value chain with a particular focus on information flow, transparency and efficiency of transaction
- To examine the relationships which include power, knowledge and benefits asymmetry throughout the chain
- To identify major marketing channels sub channels and routs
- To Identify the key constraints, opportunities and threats of milk and milk products marketing
- To identify the underline causes of low milk supply and quality in the pastoral area
- To propose simple and practical intervention areas which help to facilitate milk and milk products marketing.
- To conduct gender analysis of the value chain while highlighting of men and women across the chain will be conducted.
- To propose preliminary implementation plan for the project with recommendations for intervention with in the project time frame and alignment with the project objective
Methodology and Process**
- In the assessment, Kaalo expects the consultant to employ both quantitative and qualitative methods for collection of data/information, using Participatory Tools and Techniques for data collection, which may include but not be limited to In-depth interview, Key informant interview, Focus group discussion etc.
- Comprehensive desk review of all relevant documents i.e. related literature, project proposal, and related Government Policy documents including Puntland Ministry of Livestock and Animal Husbandry strategies for development of airy and meat value chain.
- The consultant will interact with RETORE project staff, MoLAH and other stakeholders on a sample basis.
- The consult(s) will have to fully engage a sample of target project primary stakeholders (i.e. agro-pastoralists, Pastoralists, customary authorities, milk/meat traders, Livestock Professional Association, CBOs, consumers, etc) who play significant role in milk value chain.
- The study information will be collected from three districts mentioned above
- The total population of this survey will be determined by the consultant as a sample of household’s target beneficiaries who are Pastoralist and Agro-pastoralist and milk vendors /processors, Community Animal Health Workers and private veterinary drug suppliers, staff of Ministries of Livestock, Health and Local government authorities and youth and women who get employed in the milk value chain.
- Inception report: The consultant will submit a preliminary report of execution of the assignment in electronic version. The report should be very precise and address each specific objective and should include: Executive summary (1-2 pages); Methodology; Limitations of the assignment and way forward for the assessment. The aim of the preliminary report is to give a picture of the situation on the ground which may require adjustment of the planned itinerary of the consultant for effective collection of data and information.
- The consultant will make a draft report and Power-Point presentation of the findings of the whole study and wil present to KAALO
- Final Report should produce after the inputs and validation and Submitted to Soft and Hard copy