Fursaddu waxa ay ku egtahay 20 July. Faahfaahinta iyo habka arjida hoos arag, oo taariikhdaada shaqo iyo arjida u dir emailka: [email protected]
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT-PROGRAM COORDINATOR
BOSASO, PUNTLAND STATE OF SOMALIA
Starting date: 1st August
Availability: 12 months
Countries : Somalia
Base : Based in Bosaso with regular trip to Nairobi
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France.
It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 41 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.
Médecins du Monde international network comprises 15 organisations. The network countries are: Argentina, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Japan, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States – 180 national programmes are run every day by teams made up largely of volunteers. They assist anyone who, without initial help, would be unable to access healthcare.
- CONTEXT OF THE MISSION
In July 2011, after several exploratory missions, MdM decided to open a project in the town of Bosaso, in the semi-autonomous state of Puntland. The choice of this location was dictated by the number of IDPs present in the town (over 50,000) and the lack of medical structures with quality medical services accessible to the vulnerable population (IDPs and poor host community).
Indeed, Puntland is facing an influx of IDPs coming from the war zone in South and central Somalia. The IDPs have settled in Bosaso and are trying to have a livelihood by doing menial jobs. Shelter, protection, food aid and water and sanitation needs are being addressed by various actors who include the UN agencies, international and local NGOs.
Nevertheless, Puntland has one of the highest infant and child mortality rates in Somalia, estimated to be around 153, while under five mortality rate is estimated to be 225 per thousand live births.
MdM, with a local partner, Integrated Services for the Displaced Population (ISDP), and the Ministry of Health, has, for the last years, been addressing health needs in of the poor host communities and IDP population by supporting MCHs in Bosaso. The support has been through offering primary health care services to the poor host populations and IDPs.
Since 2016, MdM has also started a SRH program, with a special focus on Community empowerment and GBV.
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE ROLE:
The Program Coordinator will be based in Bosaso, with monthly travel to Nairobi (one-week in average, subject to changes depending on the context and needs).
He/She will be in charge of the smooth implementation of overall MdM programs in Bosaso.
He/She will coordinate both the technical and administrative team based in Bosaso and support technically ISDP (MdM partner) and the MoH.
- KEY DUTIES
- Analyse and follow-up the context and the humanitarian needs.
- Plan activities together with ISDP and MdM team to achieve the project objectives, developing and following up work plans.
- Ensure smooth implementation of donor funded projects according to program proposals and donor regulations.
- Support and ensure a smooth relation with MdM Local Partner – ISDP, and other MdM partners, to increase their capacities.
- Support and ensure a smooth relation and coordinate with the MoH to achieve the project objectives and increase their capacities.
- Liaise with Nairobi Coordination team.
- Represent MdM externally and Liaise with medical and non-medical organisations (INGOs and LNGOs) in the field.
- Write project proposals and reports for Donors.
- Monitor program expenditures ensuring that budget allocations are adhered to.
MORE SPECIFALLY, THE PROGRAM COORDINATOR WILL:
1. Program management
- Ensure the implementation of the program and its follow-up in its different aspects:
Logistics: in coordination with Log officer in Nairobi and Log officer in Bosaso, support the follow up of log procedures
Administrative: in co-ordination with the log-admin department, the logistics chain and delivery of the medical material on site
- Continuously assess the needs & adjust the programmes to the needs in collaboration with the General Coordinator, the Medical Coordinator, ISDP and Bosaso team.
2. Team management
- Manage the National team:
-Participate in the recruitment, appraisal and follow-up of national staff. Medical recruitment will be in collaboration with the Medical Coordinator.
-Support and coach the staff and identify training needs.
-Ensure HR policies are adhered to
3. Representation and coordination with local and international authorities, partners and humanitarian actors
- Represent MdM, and participate (delegating when needed), in humanitarian forums, clusters and meetings
- Share MdM activities with the main National/International NGOs operating in the area and share their activities with ISDP, Bosaso team and Coordination team
- Carry out advocacy activities, disseminating MdM approach and implementing the program with a human rights and community empowerment approach
- Ensure regular contacts with Coordination team.
- Elaborate monthly coordination situation reports with Bosaso and coordination team
- He/She will be in charge of the submission of narrative and financial reports to donors
The activities may change based upon the situation.
IV. Hierarchical and Functional links
I. Hierarchical & Functional links
Line of management: He/she works inside the project’s HR organizational chart under the direct supervision of the General Coordinator.
If you believe you are the ideal candidates we are looking for, please submit your application with a CV and a cover letter to the following email address [email protected] with the title: Program Coordinator-Somali, Closing date is 20th July 2018. Only shortlisted applicant will be contacted.